Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Why hole so big????

To answer a quick question regarding the water barrels and why I had to cut such large openings in them.

Basically, there are two types of used barrels that you will find. Ones that have screw off tops (thus usually handle dry type goods) and the ones I have (which have fixed lids that are melted onto the barrel)

Now the reason for the large holes. it goes like this: I bent my brain trying to figure out how to drill the spigot and overflow holes and then cap them from the inside. There is no way to do it other than cutting an opening in the lid. Since I'm 6'2"  and 190 pounds, I had to make the large so I could fit inside to cap the spigot hole at the bottom. 

Also, bug control. if you have water barrels or any standing water for that matter (especially in the summer) and don't want to take daily malaria pills (although gin and tonics will also work), you can get these little donut type deals from Home Desperate that hold a dormant bacteria that once activated, go after the mosquito larva like they were popcorn. I highly suggest them, that is unless you enjoy itching your skin till it bleeds. Everyone needs a hobby. ;) 

So there it is. If you have any other questions, please write, I do respond to questions, because I need something to continually boost my ego. :) 


Sunday, November 9, 2008

What are those blue things? Part 2

Oh, Oh, HUH?
09-29-08_1602-1.jpg picture by Javaman8263
Mind you when I took the above photo with my crappy little phone, it was Sept 29th!!!

It wasn't even freakin' October yet!!!!!

Sigh. Soon we will be seeing X-Mass decorations on sale after the 4th of July.

Anyway, Part two of my little rain barrel ordeal.

Oh one other thing before I forget, when last I left you, I dug the hole and put in the blocks, while doing this I came across a little urban archeology...

IMG_0871-1.jpg picture by Javaman8263

A comb? whatever...

Okay, as you can see, I cut half moon openings into the tops of the barrels. I did this with a ZawSaw, using the metal blade. I first drilled a few large holes to allow the blade to pass through. It proved to be surprisingly easy. Took all of 10 minute for both.

IMG_0875.jpg picture by Javaman8263

They look kind of happy, don't they? Okay, that was very green geeky.

Bits I used...

IMG_0879.jpg picture by Javaman8263

Next, using 1 3/4" corer, I cut the over flow and pass through holes on each barrel.

IMG_0876.jpg picture by Javaman8263

here's a better pic

IMG_0877.jpg picture by Javaman8263

next I cut 1" hole near the bottom for the 3/4" pvc pipe. I used a 1" paddle drill bit.

Next, you need a short piece of 1 1/2" pvc , 1 coupler and a street elbow. I put the little piece of pvc in the hole...

IMG_0880.jpg picture by Javaman8263

and glued the coupler on one side...

IMG_0886.jpg picture by Javaman8263

and glued the street elbow on the other... Pushing them tightly together.

IMG_0881.jpg picture by Javaman8263

pointing up on the main barrel side and...

IMG_0882.jpg picture by Javaman8263

pointing down on the reserve barrel side.

Here is the completed PVC pipe on the main barrel.

IMG_0888.jpg picture by Javaman8263

It's pointed up so as when the barrel is full, the water once it has sort it's level will then drain into the backup barrel.

I next put together my system for the spigot and trash drain. it looks something like this...

IMG_0884.jpg picture by Javaman8263

However, this is how the final looks...

IMG_0889.jpg picture by Javaman8263

Note that the cut off is below the spigot. This is so no trash from the roof, bugs, bird poop, etc will spill off with the water, instead it will settle below the spigot. I put the shut off below the spigot as well so this way I won't lose any water. I can cut it off and still use the water while cleaning the trash trap. I did this because I plan to put in a drip system for my garden. No interruption of watering.

Much like the 1 1/2" pvc above I fit the 3/4" pvc in the bottom in the same manner. only this time, I just used an elbow street valve straight into the hole with a coupler on the other side. I used no additional short pieces of 3/4" pvc, just what you see.

IMG_0887.jpg picture by Javaman8263

Once everything was fitted and glued, I sealed everything with silicon sealant. No leaks yet :)

I now placed everything on a two high stack of 8" cinder block. Then joined the two barrels together...

IMG_0890.jpg picture by Javaman8263

This is the overflow go between.

Here's a wide shot of everything together...

IMG_0894-1.jpg picture by Javaman8263

I got some vinyl screen and had some old rope laying around. I have since replaced the rope with webbing that I bought over at REI.

All told, the whole set up cost me roughly 150.00, that includes lots of mistakes, cuts, and copious amounts of swearing.

I plan on adding more barrels to this set up but putting in an additional overflow to the back up barrel.

So far so good, no leaks. ;)

Next project will be a little side deal. Small herb gardens for my wife. Made from galvanized tubs.