Wednesday, July 15, 2009

What the %$#@!!!

Just a quick one.

To those of you that know me, (the grand 2 people that read my widely popular blog), you will also know that I am a firm believer of the power of swearing. :)

Whack your thumb with a hammer and let rip with a stream that would make a marine blush and wow, that feels good. :)

Stub a toe and roar with a few obscenities that would kill a nun and wow, that feels good. :)

Smash you shin on a cinder block and let fly with enough swearing to fill the urban dictionary and wow, that feeeeeeeeeels soooooooooooo gooooooooood. :)

What's my point to all of this seemingly nonsense?

I. AM. RIGHT.

From the good people at Scientific American.

Profanity Bleeps Physical Pain

A study in the journal NeuroReport finds that using socially unacceptable "swear words" has physical effects that enable the swearer to tolerate pain better. Adam Hinterthuer reports.

Holy @$#%! According to neuroscientists from Britain’s Keele University, dropping the f-bomb can actually relieve physical pain. In the upcoming August 5th issue of the journal NeuroReport, the researchers say swearing is a different phenomenon than most language. It activates emotional centers in the right side of the brain, rather than those &#*@ing cerebral areas reserved for regular #$#y communication in the left hemisphere.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/podcast/episode.cfm?id=profanity-bleeps-physical-pain-09-07-13

Cheers!

And remember

Green is @#%$ Good!!!

2 comments:

typehype said...

This cracked me up -- yes, swearing is good! It's sooooooo satisfying. Right on, NeuroReport. Green is Good!

*Bitch Cakes* said...

Hey Suburban Guy- I, for one, LOVE cursing! I swear a *lot*.

I wanted to thank you for the encouraging words on my blog about the marathon and congrats to you for completing it... back when the dinosaurs roamed NYC or something.

Green really is %$#@%! good!

xo Sheryl